Eryn Slankster, MS, PhD
Dr. Eryn Slankster is a postdoctoral scholar at the University of Nevada, Reno. She obtained her PhD from Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. She is interested in the systemic role that diet and insulin play on neuronal function. Her current research is focused on the interplay of Insulin and GABA signaling in the Drosophila olfactory circuit and their effects on olfactory behavior. She spends her free time hiking or bicycling the mountains surrounding Lake Tahoe, rock climbing, cooking, and riding her motorcycle.
David is a PhD candidate in neuroscience. His current research interests include optogenetics and electrophysiology. David is a renaissance man. His hobbies include fencing, hiking, working on cars, learning new languages, drawing, painting, and riding his motorcycle among many others.
Seth Odell is a PhD candidate in Neuroscience. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology with honors. His hobbies include building and painting models, and reading.
Roshni is a graduate student pursuing a Master’s degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology. She received her Bachelor’s degree (with distinction) in Genetics. Her hobbies include Bird-watching, Star-gazing, and reading Hindi Literature.
Dominique is pursuing her Bachelor’s degree in Biology with a minor in Music. She is currently on the pre-med track. In her free time, she enjoys cooking and playing the Piano.
Honorary Lab Mascot
Malena (named after a famous Argentine Tango song)
Malena is a seven year old Labrador/pit bull rescue. While she does not frequent the lab, she is a friendly presence during lab events. She loves to laze in the sun during the day and play with her friends whenever the opportunity arises.
Former Mathew Lab Members
- Dr. Gunnar Newquist (currently the CEO of Brain2bots)
- Sai Sundeep Kollala (MS in Biology, current: PhD student, UNMC, Nebraska)
- Alina Vergunova (MS in Neuroscience)
- Jaime Giang
- Yannick Dahetze (French exchange student, University of Pau)
- Samantha Badie (Medical student, SUNY Albany)
- America Mathis
- Alexandra Novenschi (Medical student, UNLV)
- Donovan Kohler (Medical student, UNR)
- Cammie Lee
- Kelsie Little
- Samipya Kafle (Medical student, Yale School of Medicine)
- Hunter Daynes
- Sabrina Sevilla (Medical student, UNR)
- Kristen Hess (Graduate student in Public Health, U of Michigan)
- Michelle Nguyen
- Riley Kellermeyer (PhD student, UNR)
- Conchita Maberry
- Mariah Turcotte (Medical student, UNR)
- Gwen Amsrala (Medical student, UNLV)
- Alex Bryson
High School students:
- Vivek Yanamadula (Undergraduate student, Columbia University)